The Law Offices of Irwin D. Tubman, LLC

Handling Child Support and Child Custody Modifications

Existing child custody, parenting time and child support orders can be modified to meet your changing circumstances and to ensure that the best interests of your children are protected. At the Law Offices of Irwin D. Tubman, LLC, in Hudson and Middlesex Counties, we have extensive experience guiding clients through the modification process.

Whatever change you face, we will represent you with the aim of protecting your rights, your children’s best interests and your family relationships. We can also represent you if your spouse had refused to comply with an existing child support, custody or parenting time order.

Parenting Time and Custody Modifications

There must be a substantial change in circumstances since the time of your last order before the court will allow a modification to child custody or parenting time arrangements. The following are examples of times when a modification may be granted:

  • A parent remarrying
  • A parent or child abusing drugs or alcohol
  • A child living with an unfit parent
  • A child having new/different needs or schedule
  • A change in a parent’s job schedule
  • A change in a parent’s health
  • Conflict between a child and a parent

Attorney Irwin D. Tubman will assist you in filing the necessary motions and proving to the court that there is a real need to modify your existing orders. This can be done even after a Divorce is final and an agreement has been signed, in appropriate situations.

Modifications in Child Support

Child support can be modified when your financial circumstances change. The following are examples of times when child support may be recalculated:

  • A parent loses his or her job
  • A parent gets a new job
  • A parent has another child
  • A parent’s income increases or decreases significantly

Lawyer Irwin D. Tubman will evaluate your situation, and if a need for change is indicated he will take the necessary action to obtain a modification.

Parental Relocation

Under New Jersey law, the parent with primary physical custody of the children must obtain permission from the court to relocate out of the area in the event the other parent protests the potential move. The court will then hold a removal hearing and consider a variety of factors in making its decision on whether the relocation is permissible. If the relocation is granted, the court will require the parents to create an amended custody arrangement or impose one upon them. If you want to relocate with your child, or if you want to contest relocation, it is essential you obtain legal advice from an experienced attorney.

How We Work and How We Charge

Our legal practice is positioned on providing premium client service. This means being easy to deal with and using our experience and expertise to deliver a successful outcome for you. We pride ourselves on our open, down-to-earth approach. As part of this accessibility commitment, we will keep you posted on the progress of your case, and your options, every step of the way.

Structure of Typical Legal Case and Fees

At the Law Offices of Irwin D. Tubman LLC, we are committed to exceptional dedication and client care. Below we have provided an example of how a typical legal case may transpire.

You Contact Our Office
  • By telephone or consulation form
  • We will make every effort to consult with you as soon as possible, usually on the same day.
Initial Consultation
  • We will discuss the issue in a phone call to determine if we can help you. We will not provide legal advice until you become a client.
Follow Up
  • Following our initial consultation, we will let you know whether you would benefit from a follow up meeting with us as a client.
  • We will also give you an indication of what the costs of the consultation are likely to be.
  • We will provide our charges and will explain how we will work with you.
  • Once agreed, we will start work. This usually involves a review of any necessary documents and an initial meeting with you to give you legal advice and practical guidance about next steps.
  • As your case progresses, we will keep you informed of any updates.

Our service charge options

Fixed fees

In most cases, we can fix our fees for the work we do. We’ll consider the prospect of additional and unexpected work and give you a fixed cost.

Pay as you go

Many of our clients prefer us to work on a pay-as-you-go basis. For this type of service, our standard hourly rate applies.